When most people think of Safari in Africa, it’s Kenya they are generally thinking about. Kenya is the home of the original safari holiday, the “Out of Africa” landscapes, and the world-renowned annual migration from the Serengeti in Tanzania to Kenya’s Masai Mara can be seen here.
Perhaps the most famous game reserve in the world the Masai Mara is a land of vast savannahs. The Mara is home to Africa’s Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, and buffalo) and the distinct Masaai people. The reserve offers excellent game viewing throughout the year and not only during the migration; which can be unpredictable as it does not fall on a specific date and depends on when the rains fall.
Visitors to Kenya will be spoilt for choice with luxury safari camps available either in the park or surrounding conservancies that offer a more exclusive experience including safari walks and night drives.
- The annual Wildebeest Migration
- Visit a local village for insight into the traditions of the semi-nomadic Masaai people
- A hot-air balloon flight over the Masai Mara
- Nairobi: Kenya’s capital and largest city
- Amboseli National Park: dominated by snowcapped Mount Kilimanjaro
- Great Rift Valley is a valley down the length of Africa that is visible from the moon
- Lake Victoria: The world’s largest tropical lake so perfect for relaxing on unspoilt beaches and Dhow sailing to secluded islands
- Mombasa Coastline: A wonderful beach add-on to a safari
- Samburu: Home to some of Kenya’s most unique wildlife
- Tsavo: The largest safari destination in Kenya
When to Visit Kenya
In the Summer
The most popular months are January and February when the weather is hot and dry and the wildlife tends to congregate around waterholes.
The Great Wildebeest Migration
From June/ July to October the Migration takes place and it’s an extremely busy (and exciting!) time to visit.
Winter/ Rainy season
You’re most likely to experience rain during the months of March to May. This is a good time to visit if you want to avoid crowds of tourists and enjoy off-season rates on lodges and camps.